Microsoft's Open License Program
Open License is a two-year term commitment that is ideal for organizations that want a minimum initial purchase of five software licenses. This program is also great for a growing organization’s changing business needs because it has a pay-as-you-go model.
Open License Volume Purchase Option: If you are purchasing larger volumes of Microsoft software licenses but still prefer to pay as you go, the volume option is a two-year term commitment with product pools and points. It provides deeper per-unit discounts, resulting in significant savings if the volume of software licenses is high enough.
To participate in the Open License Volume Purchase option, you must meet a minimum purchase level of 500 points. Points are determined by the software product mix and license quantity you plan to purchase. Because the volume option uses product pools and points to calculate the 500-point minimum purchase, it is important to understand the product pools and points formula.
Product pools group similar Microsoft software products to achieve deeper volume pricing discounts. The following are some examples:
- The applications pool includes products such as the Microsoft Office suites, Microsoft Project, Microsoft Visio drawing and diagramming software, and the Microsoft Visual Studio development system.
- The systems pool includes the Windows operating system upgrades such as Windows 8 Pro.
- The server pool includes products like Windows SQL Server Standard Edition database software and Microsoft Exchange Server.
Point values are assigned to each licensed product. For example:
- Microsoft Office Professional Plus is worth four points.
- Windows Server is worth 20 points.
By adding the number of points earned, you can determine whether you meet the minimum purchase requirement.
Please contact your account manager or call 1-800-800-0014 to determine your qualifications.